Friday, February 7, 2020

A Snowy Day

We finally got a day that looked and felt like winter! I know, its a pain for commuting, but for walking in the woods and enjoying nature, a good snowfall can't be beat! 


While this picture turned out fairly gray and monochromatic, I didn't mind. The landscape ends up looking very different when what you see is reduced to lights and darks. This was the perfect kind of snowfall. It was light, but wet so it stuck to everything. There were some amazing shapes that I came across as I took my walk on the preserve.




The other cool thing about a snowfall like this is the way the snow lays on different kinds of plants.




On the left is a branch of eastern red cedar and on the right is Virginia pine. The flatter needles of the cedar holds more of the snow and bends the branch down considerably.



This Queen Anne's Lace looks as if it captured the snow as it fell and is trying to hold it all in!


The many ways the snow sticks to the different plants is really beautiful. The size of tree, species, and texture of the bark all seemed to affect how the snow stuck.

Probably my favorite thing about walking in the woods after a snow is noticing colors that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.


Whether its been raining or snowing, the damp conditions bring out the best colors in the many lichens on the preserve. Greeny yellows and blues lend a cheerfulness to the winter landscape.


Some trees who hang on to their leaves all winter are particularly noticeable when frosted with snow.


This lovely beech tree was almost glowing in contrast to the white and grayish browns of the surrounding forest.


The leaves of this post oak take on a reddish quality against the snow.


A young Virginia pine stood out to me in this cedar barren. It reminded me of a "Charlie Brown tree"!


I hope you were able to get out and experience the winter wonderland that nature provided us today, but if not I hope that you enjoyed these pictures from my walk on the preserve!

Posted by: Robyn Wright-Strauss